Saturday 30 April 2011

Bark and Cakes

With another month or so to kill, I thought I'd get a jump on the Cohos Cache Game by creating camoflaged containers.  I wrote to Hydiseka for his bark formula that he uses for his famous Home Brew Game Cameras and he sent me explicit instructions on how to create your own waterproof flexible bark.

Excited like a two-year old, I sat down and spread the goo on then set it aside to dry for several days.

Well - that was too easy so I had to come up with something a little more time-consuming and messy.  Ah, Ha!-- let's make a rock with plaster-of-paris!.... so I gathered up some supplies, hauled a massive rock indoors for a mold, did some careful measuring and determined that the rock was too shallow on one end so I searched the porch for something that would at least resembled a rock in shape.   Nothing!....

Glad my mother doesn't live here, I reached up into the kitchen cupboard and took down a lightly used tupperware bowl and placed it into the middle of the table.  Now the directions say (paraphrased), 'to release your mold when the plaster-of-paris has dried, wet the mold ahead of time and presto, it'll come right out!' - So being careful to follow directions, I spread plaster first around the sides and then up over the top of the bowl, piling extra on top to create the rounded rock look - Then I stood back to critique -

After having six children that were constantly having birthdays year in and year out, I have made plenty of cakes from scratch, none of them close to gracing the covers of Better Housekeeping - But here I am with this gem of a 'cake' that is supposed to be a rock!



Ya, ya - I know - it's a little sloppy on top but my plaster was drying extra fast being so close to the woodstove.

So now what am I supposed to do with this?  It's bone-dry, the tupperware bowl is encased forever and it doesn't even remotely resemble a rock.

I let it set overnight and decided the next day to paint it green to blend in with the abundant grasses on the trails - found some green paint and plastered it....



Now that's some ugly green for grass..... maybe if I sponge some brown patches onto it?  Anybody out there have any suggestions what this can be used for?  I thought of an ATV helmet since I don't own one but I thought it might be too heavy and uncomfortable.......
 

1 comment:

  1. Hoping to visit you at the end of May. After seeing this post I will be checking over the dessert very carefully.

    ReplyDelete